FantasyLitKnits


Saturday, February 3, 2007
I've been researching some yarns lately(in other words looking at reviews) and everyone seems to be complaining about having to pick out vegetation from yarns. So I'm just gonna come out and say it right now. I LOVE finding vegetation in yarn. Weird? Probably. But I have an explanation for it, unlike so many of my other "quirks". When I come across a peice of whatever they may be (I'm assuming it's straw or grass) it reminds me of where the yarn originated. It somehow connects me, or rather makes me feel connected to the sheep that this little peice of earth got stuck to. It makes me thank God for having created such a wonderful animal that would provide millions with this little piece of heaven called knitting. Okay, so maybe there won't be knitting in heaven but as far as I'm concerned knitting sure is heavenly! Doesn't finding those little bits just make you want to hug a sheep? Or maybe, at least, adopt one from Australia. I have to keep telling myself that I will not be able to have a pet sheep from which I can make my own yarn. Yes, yes I know there are those who do, but I'm not sure it's allowed within my city's limits. Sigh. I'll just have to settle for adoption and picking sticks out of my yarn.

In other news, I got another UFO off the needles. The Breast Cancer Blanket that I've decide is more of the Breast Cancer Diamond. It's not quite as square as I would have liked but oh well. I would block it but honestly I'm letting the lazyknitteritis over come me with this one. It'll do the job and it still came out pretty, no?



If you click on the picture you get a much better view.

Now I have to focus on my projects that have the deadline curse on them. One is due for mid-April I believe (still don't have that date confirmed yet). Then two others are due for mid-May. I still have a few months yes, but the bad thing is all three are blankets. not baby blankets mind you, full size afghans. Two have intarsia which won't be so bad I suppose, then the other is the twin tress afghan from this post. It's such a bummer because I have some really exciting projects I want to work on for myself but being the kind hearted selfless person that I am (that was dripping with sarcasm by the way) I will put those aside for the afghans. Two of them are gifts from me, so that's my own doing. The other I'm making for someone I've gone to church with for years. It's actually for her husband. She asked me to make it for her to give to her husband. I'm crossing my fingers that when I'm done I'll get some compensation for my time. (And that she's not reading this, haha) I know she'll reimburse me for the yarn, but we haven't talked at all about anything past that. We'll have to see how it all unfolds. After this though, I'll be charging at least $100 on top of the yarn cost. After all, it isn't like I'm sitting at home with absolutely nothing to do. Three little boys are pretty time consuming and that's before you throw Autism into the mix. I won't let it get out of hand though. I want knitting to stay enjoyable and I want to be able to knit for myself occasionally(or a lot ;P). Well, cross your fingers with me will you? Or better yet say a prayer or two!

~DK

Posted by Elyse at 9:10 PM |

2 Comments:

At February 13, 2007 at 8:57:00 AM CST, Blogger Procrastiknitter said........
Hi Elyse!

I'm not sure if you remember me from the time we met. I stood by you in May when we were at SOP for the Mason Dixon talk and book signing (Rachel).

I'm so glad that you have a blog now! We have moved to Oklahoma but I still really miss SOP. Anyway, I know about the afghans. I'm working on the mitered squares afghan from the MD book, and then I still have another HUGE afghan knit on size 6 needles to do (lots of lace and cable work) that is due in July!
 


At February 16, 2007 at 9:14:00 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said........
i love finding bits and pieces in my yarn too!