FantasyLitKnits


Monday, November 27, 2006
Yesterday was a heartbreaking day for me. I volunteered in the nursery at church and ended up in the same room as Rayden my two year old. If you remember from my previous posts, Rayden is about to be tested for Autism which we're sure he has. My heart broke as I sat in the nursery room full of a dozen or so three year olds (Rayden turns three in January). Rayden wouldn't sit down for any of the craft, snack, or storytime. When I tried to get him to sit with me he'd arch his back and throw himself on the floor. The other adults in the room were very kind and kept telling me he could just play which I eventually just gave up and let him. I wasn't frustrated or annoyed with Rayden at all. I'm used to him acting that way, but dealing with it while twelve other kids his age sit nicely at the table, listening to the story, or putting stickers on their craft was just heartwrenching. And then something happened for the first time. It happens to all kids and parents dealing with Autism. I noticed the kids staring at him. At three years old they already could tell there was something different about him. It may sound minute, but realizing that it was just something I was going to have to get used to was really hard. But, no matter what, I'm still so thankful that he's mine, autism and all.




~DK

Labels:


Posted by Elyse at 7:20 AM |

1 Comments:

At April 17, 2007 at 5:34:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Hang in there.. there are wonderful programs for autism and helping... early intervention is the key!!